Mathematical Videos: Newton Institute, IAS (Jerusalem), IAS (Princeton) Mathematics, Harvard Math, Princeton Mathematics, Growth, Symbolic Dynamics and Combinatorics of Words in Groups, How to Write Mathematics Badly, Scheme 3 Groups
Conferences: Group Theory Conferences
Trees, dynamics and locally compact groups, Düsseldorf,
Groups in Galway 2019, Galway, Ireland, 10-11.5.2019
Geometric and Analytic Group Theory, Banach Center,
Warsaw, Spring 2019
Ph.D., 1999, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem,
M.Sc., 1994, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
B.Sc., 1992, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Reader in Mathematics, Royal Holloway, University of London 2008-
Lecturer of Mathematics, Royal Holloway, University
of London 2004- 2008
Visiting Research Fellow, Imperial College, London and University of Kent, Canterbury 2003-2004
Van Vleck Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2000- 2003
MSRI Postdoctoral Fellow, MSRI, Berkeley, 1999-2000
My general research area is Algebra. In particular I wrote papers in the following areas:
· Group Theory: Asymptotic Group Theory, Pro-p Groups, Profinite Groups, Totally Disconnected Locally Compact Groups, Algebraic Groups over Local Fields.
· Lie Algebras: Finite Dimensional Lie Algebras, Graded Lie Algebras.
I am a member of the South England Profinite Groups Meetings, see the link for the meetings we organize.
1. Y. Barnea and A. Shalev, Hausdorff dimension, pro-p groups, and Kac-Moody algebras, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 349 (1997), 5073-5091.
2. Y. Barnea, A. Shalev and E.I. Zelmanov, Graded subalgebras of affine Kac-Moody algebras, Israel J. Math. 104 (1998), 321-334.
3. Y. Barnea and M. Larsen, A non-abelian free pro-p group is not linear over a local field, J. Algebra 214 (1999), 338-341.
4. Y. Barnea, Residual properties of free pro-p groups, Bull. London Math. Soc. 33 (2001), 578-582.
5. Y. Barnea, Generators of simple Lie algebras and the lower rank of some pro-p groups, Comm. Algebra 30 (2002), 1293-1303.
6. Y. Barnea and R. Guralnick, Subgroup growth of some pro-p groups, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 130 (2002), 653-659.
7. Y. Barnea and B. Klopsch, Index subgroups of the Nottingham group, Adv. Math. 180 (2003), 187-221.
8. Y. Barnea and I. M. Isaacs, Lie algebras with few centralizer dimensions, J. Algebra 259 (2003), 284-299.
9. Y. Barnea and M. Larsen, Random generation in semisimple algebraic groups over local fields, J. Algebra 271 (2004), 1-10.
10. Y. Barnea, Maximal graded subalgebras of loop toroidal Lie algebras, Algebr. Represent. Theory 8 (2005), 165-171.
11. Y. Barnea and D. S. Passman, Filtrations in semisimple Lie algebras, I, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 358 (2006), 1983-2010.
12. Y. Barnea and D. S. Passman, Filtrations in semisimple Lie algebras, II, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 360 (2008) 801-817.
13. Y. Barnea, N. Gavioli, A. Jaikin-Zapirain, V. Monti, and C. M. Scoppola, Pro-p groups with few normal subgroups, J. Algebra. 321 (2009), 429-449.
14. Y. Barnea, M. Ershov and T. Weigel, Abstract commensurators of profinite groups, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 363 (2011), 5381-5417.
15. Y. Barnea and J.-C. Schlage-Puchta, On p-deficiency in groups, J. Group Theory 16 (2013) 497-517.
16. Y. Barnea and J.-C. Schlage-Puchta, Branch groups, orbit growth, and subgroup growth types for pro-p group, Forum Math. Pi 8 (2020), e10, 26 pp.
17. Y. Barnea and J.-C. Schlage-Puchta, Large normal subgroup growth and large characteristic subgroup growth, J. Group Theory 23 (2020), no. 1, 1–15.
18. Y. Barnea and M. Vannacci, Hereditarily just infinite profinite groups with complete Hausdorff dimension spectrum, J. Algebra Appl. 18 (2019), no. 11, 1950216, 10 pp.